Is it True that Iguanas Eat Meat? Learn about this Herbivorous Reptile
Hello, my dear friends, welcome back to AnimalLova; the perfect place to learn all about animals world. However, a lot of people like to do something extraordinary and against common rules in society, included the way they choose a pet companion. Commoner like me is already enough with ordinary pet animals, just like cats and dogs. Any pet that you could cuddle all the time; but apparently this paradigm already outdated and for some people categorized as unattractive.
Rather than mammals animals, there’s a lot of people prefer reptilian as their companion. I know, all the species of lizards, turtles, and snakes; these people love challenges than most of the people. Keeping reptiles as a pet is not an easy job. They do have different treatment than ordinary pet because basic fundamental of nature create these species as wild animals, not domesticated species. However, is not a problem again – I guess – for these days. As long as they didn’t swallow you alive, I think you have a right to choose whatever you want to choose as companion.
Speaking of safety, if you considering less-dangerous reptiles as a pet, then let me suggest you one of lizard species, the iguana. Why iguana, because they would never gonna try to eat your flesh – attack you perhaps – but they would not touch your life. How could you be so sure about that? Well, this is because iguanas are know as herbivorous reptilian! So, if you ever question, is it true that iguanas eat meat? Learn about this herbivorous reptile would enlarge you knowledge that pet iguanas doesn’t eat any meat.
There are things to know first about iguana, and if you keep stand to where you are, you would love this animal even more. In order to get an iguana you could purchase them in pet stores or you could try adopt an iguana from the foster care, conservation, or shelter. However, let me warn you about some various behaviors of iguanas that you would face; they might be unfriendly, especially if you do something which is for them is “unpredictable”. Believe me, their strike is very painful.
Furthermore, you could choose whatever species you want except the marine iguana (which is you could only be found in Galapagos Islands, Ecuador); they were highly protected by the law of Ecuador and official organizations such IUCN and WWF as endangered species of iguana. However, make sure your iguana eat well is the most important duty you must bear. So, today, we would learn more all about iguana’s diet meals and all the nutrient and good substances that help your iguana live longer and happy.
Nutrient Values from Diet Menus
Just like people, iguana sure did need the benefit from their foods. It helps them to create antibody to prevent some diseases infiltrate their body – exactly like us. As an herbivorous animal, iguana only eat greens leafy, vegetables and fruits; and the proportion of the mixtures are regulated. You are not allowed to feed the iguana carelessly. Just remember this formula 2:1 of Calcium to Phosphorus ration from the total amount diet menu for a day. Furthermore, here are benefit substances you must supply to your beloved iguana:
Known as the the substance that help absorption, metabolism, and storage of iron. Also, its function is to supply the oxygen and forming red bloods cell inside the body.
Calcium would help to maintain the bones and help to prevent some diseases that targeting the bones. You must know that deficiency of calcium might lead you iguana to metabolic bone diseases and muscle spasms.
Fiber is known widely as the substance that help digestion system inside living creatures. It would normalize the function of digestive tract.
Lack of protein inside the body would lead to muscle wasting, weight loss, slow mechanism of healing injury process, and vulnerable to infections. Do you still think that protein isn’t an important substance?
Phosphorus usually would work together with calcium to support the formation of nerves cells and bones.
Potassium help body growth and maintenance. It helps to balancing the both of body fluid and cell water. Deficiency of potassium lead to lung and kidney failure, twitching, and cramps.
The Main Meals for Iguanas
The unique things about iguana’s diet menus system is that the meals was divided into three types of meals. The staples meal, occasionally meal, and the rare meal. Furthermore, there are types of foods which is used as the main meal every day (50% – 60%), there are foods are best given occasionally or just simply put some of it as the mixture for the main meal (30% – 40%), and there are foods you should rarey feed (10%) for the good of your iguana.
The Staples Foods
- Turnip Greens: (one cup) contained with Vitamin C – 33.8, Vitamin A – 6372 IU, and Vitamin K – 138 mcg.
- Alfalfa: (one cup) contained with Potassium, Protein, Zinc, Iron, and Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, and K.
- Arugula-rocket: (a half cup) contained with Vitamin K 10.9, and Vitamin A 237 IU.
- Beans Green Snap: (one cup) contained with Folate 40.7, Vitamin K 15.8, Vitamin A 759 IU, and Vitamin C 17.9.
- Butternut Squash: (one cup) contained with Fiber (highly one), Protein, Vitamin C – 31, Magnesium – 59, Niacin – 1.986, Iron – 1.23, Vitamin E -2.64, and Vitamin A – 22868 IU.
- Collard: (one cup) contained with Vitamin K -184 mcg, Highly goitrogens, and Vitamin A 2400 IU.
- Dandelion: (one cup) contained with Vitamin C 19.3 mg, Magnesium – 19.8 mg, Vitamin K – 428 mcg, Sodium 41.8 mg, and Vitamin A – 5588 IU, and etc.
The Occasional Foods
- Artichoke: (one medium) contained with Protein, Vitamin A – 905 IU, Vitamin E – 1.35 mg, Vitamin K 45.5, and Vitamin C 6.9.
- Beetroot and Greens: (a half of cup) contained with Vitamin A – 30 IU, Highly in Oxalates, Sodium 65 mg, and Magnesium 20 mg.
- Asparagus: (a half of cup) contained with Vitamin K – 45.5, Protein, Vitamin A – 905, Folate – 134, Vitamin E – 1.35 mg, and Vitamin C – 6.9.
- Broccoli: (one cup) contained with Vitamin E – 1.13, Vitamin A – 1207 IU, Highly goitrogens, and Vitamin C 50.6, and etc.
The Rare Foods
- Basil: (a quarter of cup) contained with Calcium – 10.6 mg, Vitamin A 317 IU, and Vitamin K 24.9.
- Lambsquarters: (one hundred grams) contained with Vitamin A 11601 IU, Magnesium 34 mg, highly Oxalates, Vitamin C 80 mg, and Sodium 43 mg.
- Kale: (one cup) contained with Vitamin K 1062 mcg, Magnesium – 23 mg, Vitamin A – 17.707 IU, Highly goitrogens, Sodium – 30 mg, and Iron – 1.17.
- Sweet Potato: (one cup) contained with Vitamin K 1 2.6, Magnesium – 31 mg, Vitamin C – 22.3 mg, Sodium – 41 mg, and Vitamin A – 21.909 mg, and etc.
Is it true that iguanas eat meat? Learn about this herbivorous reptile article has proved that iguana pet is vegetarian. That is why, don’t every try to feed them with meat, insects, and other meaty foods. Good luck, my dear friends!