4 Best Fruits for Guinea Pig: A Guide of Feeding
Having such adorable animals perhaps would be number one wish list for most of the people. The all-star list of adorable animals such dogs, cats, rabbits, and hamsters would be kicking as the first thought. But, there’s one other animal that you would never regret to keep as a pet, this species known as one of the most adorable animal to be pet. Do you know what it is? Yes, it is guinea pigs. One of the rodent species commonly keep as pet. Guinea pigs appearance are similar with hamsters but their body’s size are bigger than the majority of hamsters.
Guinea pig would be a pleasant species to keep because of their playful characteristic. That is why, you would be suggested to provide some toys when you are about to have guinea pig as a pet. This animal really love to play! One of the common playground item is igloos for your guinea pig’s hiding place and exercise ball. Yes, these two items could be a very fun to help your beloved guinea pigs enjoy their day inside their cages.
Technically, guinea pigs nursery are quite similar with rabbits and hamsters nursery methods. As the herbivorous species, they share the same dietary habit. They loved all kind of pellets, hays, vegetables, and fruits. Although they love all of it, it doesn’t mean that you could give all of it to them. Still, you need to be selective and careful of what you choose to feed to your guinea pigs pets. Just remember this, food that contained high level of carbs for guinea pigs are not good, it could trigger obesity and other fat issues.
I suggest you to read this one: best veggies to maintain guinea pig nutrition. Beside the main dietary (hays and pellets), give them treats as addition is recommended. The treat would prevent the boredom that triggered by the monotonous daily routine foods. Moreover, there are treats you could make at home for your guinea pig! Mostly, people would give a little amount consist from different variant of fruits.
However, if you confuse and didn’t know what kind of fruits that would be the best ones for your guinea pigs, here are 4 fruit for guinea pig: a guide of feeding.
Guinea Pigs Dietary Guidelines
Guinea pigs are not voracious animals, they’re rarely overeat. With this kind of polite behavior, as an owner, it is your duty to be the selective one to pick the best foods to feed. There are several types of food that are eaten by guinea pig:
- Hays: should be always ready on your storage every single day. Makes sure you by the fresh and healthy hays; no molds or other sign of decay. Hays also good to limit the teeth progression (guinea pig’s teeth keep growing for the rest of their lives).
- Commercial Foods: which are available on the pet stores or online stores. Commercial foods mostly are from as supplement and vitamin.
- Vegetables and Fruits: these type of foods are given mostly as treats because the amount of sugar that are very dangerous if being used for daily diet. Sometimes, the owner would sprinkle a bit of vegetables on the main menu just to add another taste and texture to the foods. But remember, only a bit. For fruits, it always given as treats never more.
All the lists above are all the foods you could provide to your beloved guinea pigs, and now we would tell you about 4 best fruits for guinea pig: a guide of feeding.
Not only bring benefits for people, apparently apples could be the perfect choice of delightful treat for guinea pigs. Apples are known as the most common fruit on the entire world. Every continent and country, this fruit was easy to find. Just for your note, apples was originated from central Asia. Furthermore, apples are contained with beneficial substances such vitamin C, antioxidant, and a very high source of fiber.
Apple usually eaten raw, but it also perfects for other recipes of processed meals such juices, smoothies, pastries, and other recipes. Let’s look deeper to the substances within an apple:
- Nutrition Facts: apple contained several beneficial substances of fifty-two calories, eighty-six percent of water, 0.3 grams of proteins, 13.8 grams of carbs, 10.4 grams of sugars, 2.4 grams of fiber, 0.2 grams of fat.
- Carbs: apples contained with several rich sugars such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose. The GI (Glycemic Index) of apple is low, which about twenty-nine to forty-four.
- Mineral and Vitamin: It contained with vitamin C which would help as the antioxidant inside the body; it also contained with potassium.
However, because the high level of sugar, make sure that you only give it occasionally in a little amount for the pet.
Banana is one of the most widely consumed fruit in the world. It became one of the most popular fruit. A lot of beneficial substances lives inside banana which become the main reason why this particular foods always included in high list of healthy food recipes. Banana reviled as one of the fruit that could help lower the blood pressure and reduce the risk of asthma and cancer. So, here is the list of nutrition inside banana:
- Vitamins: one banana contained with several important vitamins such 0.5 grams of vitamin B6, 9 grams of vitamin C, 81 IU of vitamin A.
- Minerals: one banana contained of 0.3 grams of manganese, 3 grams of fiber, 1 gram of protein, 34 milligrams of magnesium, 25.0 micrograms of folate, 0.8 milligrams of Niacin, 0.3 milligrams of Iron, and more.
- Potassium: banana was a rich source of potassium. It contained about 450 milligrams of it within one banana. Potassium used to help control the fluid level and regulate the nutrients in and out of the body. It also helps all the consumer maintain their kidneys.
Berries would be out last list of the fruit today. You should know that berries are one of most the healthiest fruits you could eat. It contained with all the substances that you could ever wish for. Not only bring the benefit for people, it also applied to your pet guinea pigs. Berries are rich of the antioxidant, such as ellagic acid, resveratrol, and anthocyanins which are used to reduce the risk of diseases. Berries also help the insulin response and improve the blood sugar. However, let’s learn more about berries beneficial substances:
- Vitamins and Minerals: berries contained with vitamins and minerals that support your body such as 43 calories, thirty-five percent of vitamin C, thirty-two percent of manganese, twenty-five percent of Vitamin K1, eight percent of copper, and six percent of folate. This measurement was based on RDI (Reference Daily Intake).
- Carbs and Fibers: for strawberry is contained about 7.7 grams of carbs and 2.0 grams of fibers, raspberry contained with 11.9 grams of carbs and 6.5 grams of fibers, blueberry contained with 14.5 grams of carbs and 2.4 grams of fibers, blackberry contained with 10.2 grams of carbs and 5.3 grams of fibers.
However, my dear friends, all these fruits are contained with high level of sugar for guinea pigs and it doesn’t suit as daily dietary routine. So, always make these fruits as treats rather than the prime food.