Hamster’ health should be our first priority as their owners. We have to keep everything as it’s should be to make sure our hamsters would always fit and in a good condition, these are included maintain the cleanliness of hamster’ cage and all equipment inside hamster’ cage such as toys, bedding, food and water containers. We should understand, many diseases has prey our hamster and able to attack our furry-ball pet anytime they want. These diseases were spread to the light such as common infection on hamster, included: pink eye and lumpy jaw; then we enter the most dangerous ones are cancer and tumor.
Health condition of hamster is influenced not only by hamster’ cleanliness but also type of foods you offered to them. Did you know that nutritional deficiency triggered alopecia in hamster? If you didn’t know what alopecia, alopecia is also known as hair loss which could happened to human and animal. In hamsters, there are certain reasons potentially be the causes of alopecia such one I mentioned previously the nutritional deficiency and parasites (mites, ticks, and others).
Therefore, foods selection should always execute carefully and thoughtful. As you know, people, hamsters are omnivorous animal; they eat almost all majority of plants such as seeds, fruits, green leafs, and one certain thing: vegetables – plus, they could eat some other foods. Although they are able to eat every plant, doesn’t mean anything is good for them. That’s why you need to know about types of fruits that can be eaten by hamster. It’s not stop on that, you should understand kind of vegetables that can be eaten by hamsters.
But, yes, we totally understand that it’s quite confusing, especially for you my friends who coincidentally is beginners. Don’t be too worry, because now we would share how to feed hamsters properly – precisely, kinds of vegetables that can be eaten by hamsters. Without further do, let’s check it out!
How to Feed Hamster
There are matters you should understand as the most basic rules of hamster’ feeding. First of all, offer a good and fresh quality balanced foods that meet hamster’s nutritional needs. Second, commercial foods was also needed by hamsters. But, remember to always check index ingredients of the commercial foods before you purchase it. Do you ever hear about a phrase that say you are what you eat? Yes, this apply in hamsters too, folks. A good source of foods would ensure the life-span of the hamsters, just like human.
Healthy foods would result as beneficial particles that support hamster’ body system and organs. Do not ever forget, in the wildlife hamster’ only eat fresh food – there’s no commercial foods in the wildlife. This habit must be adjusted even in the captivity. Moreover, hamster should get more complete nutrition under our supervision because – it’s obvious – in the hamster didn’t know about the importance of balance nutrition like human does.
Therefore, due the health of your pet animals, you should meet their important substances that hamster’ body needed: protein, vitamins, carbohydrate, fats, and minerals. Furthermore, let’s learn the proper needs of each nutrition for hamsters:
- Protein: study reviled that hamster needs about 14% to 20% in general. But, for pregnant hamsters, there’s specific requirement about 18% of protein for daily dietary.
- Vitamins and Minerals: considered that hamsters were able to experienced nutrition deficiency, that’s indeed proved the importance of vitamins and minerals to maintain hamster’ health. The basic rules about vitamins and minerals for hamsters are high quality source of foods with contained about 90% to 95% of hamster’ dietary. This dietary was combination of commercial formula plus fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Carbohydrate: is needed by all animals and humans with no exception. It was the source of energy that we all used to do everything for a day and the next days. All you need to remember is do not overfeed hamster with sugar – especially fructose and lactose. Those two substances are dangerous which able to leads hamster to her death.
- Fats: and the last we have fats. Fats are not always bad. There are good fats which important to gain energy for the body. Associated with fats for hamster, study have been held and reviled the fats needed by hamster is about 3% to 9% for hamster’ daily dietary.
Hamster’s Types of Dietary
There are three common diets of hamsters that you could offer to your pet every day:
Also known as commercial foods was the combination of balanced ingredient for hamsters. Varieties of pellets was available at most animal stores out there, included: cookies, biscuits, and cereals. The only disadvantage of pellets are they were a little bit monotonous; so, don’t be surprise if some of the hamsters would refuse to eat it.
Seeds was used as addition meal for hamsters, and for your note, your hamsters love it so much – especially the sun flower seeds. In pet stores, there’s also an option for seeds mix pellet which is commonly would be the option of many people. But, however, many cases the hamsters being the picky ones and only eat the sun flower seeds. Encourage the hamsters to eat every seed, and always make sure the hamsters empty their bowls before you add more.
The last was one of hamster favorite additional foods: all kinds of fresh foods. Yes, fruits and vegetables are become tasty treat for hamsters. Keep in mind, you could only feed treat 10% a day from total amount of hamster’ dietary. Furthermore, varieties of vegetables was acceptable for hamsters; this mean there are some of the vegetables that should never be the choice of hamster dietary. Therefore, here are the list of acceptable vegetables for your pet hamsters.
- Asparagus, zucchini, bean sprouts, cucumbers, peas, chicory, carrots, broccoli, clover, bok choy, green beans, spinach, sweet potatoes, dandelion leaves, chard, kale, celery, sweet bell papers, water cress, Romaine lettuce, chestnuts, turnip, cabbage, endive, corn on the cob, Swiss chard, parsnips, chickweed, cauliflower, radicchio, squash, and chicory.