10 Dangerous Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Puppy

Puppies tend to less discriminating what they try to eat. That’s why it’s important for puppy owners to keep an eye on what their puppies eat. There are some foods that are good for people, but actually are dangerous if eaten by puppy. It can cause health problems for puppies, even lead to death. To prevent anything bad happened to your puppy, you must know which foods that are actually harmful for your puppy. So here is the list of 10 dangerous foods to avoid feeding your puppy.

1. Onions and Garlics

The first 10 dangerous foods to avoid feeding your puppy is onions. Anything in onion family; garlic, shallots, scallions, chives, is toxic to puppies. Even the powdered form, such as the onion powder in baby food, can also be dangerous. They can give your puppy gastroenteritis, red blood cells damage that can lead to anemia. Garlic is five times as potent as onions. The symptoms usually appear several days after ingestion, include lethargy, weakness, and orange to dark red urine. Japanese puppies such as Shiba Inus and Akitas tend to be more sensitive to onions and garlics.

2. Dairy Products

Some puppies are lactose-intolerant. They do not have enough amount of lactase enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Milk, cheese, yoghurt, ice cream, and other foods that are include in dairy products, can give upset stomach, diarrhea, and food allergies to puppy.

3. Bones

You always watch in cartoon that puppy is given and eat bones, but actually bones can be dangerous food, especially for puppies and domestic dogs. The bones in meat, chicken, and fish can splinter and stick in puppy’s throat, break puppy’s teeth, cut the digestive tract, or make an obstruction in puppy’s digestive tract. It’s better not to give them bones in their bowl than to get them any problems.

4. Chocolate

One of the most favorite foods in the world, chocolate, is in fact a dangerous food for your puppy. It is already a pretty well-known fact for puppy owners. Puppy that eat chocolate can get diarrhea, vomiting, upset stomach, lethargy, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature, etc. It can even cause heart problems or even can lead to death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to your puppy. Darker chocolate contains higher amounts of caffeine and theobromine, which are toxic for puppies. But it doesn’t mean that white chocolate is safe. The theobromine includes in all kinds of chocolate although the amount is lower in white chocolate.

5. Macadamia Nut

Macadamia nut is one of nutritious foods that has many health benefits for people, but not for puppies. Eating macadamia nuts can cause paralysis and lack of coordination in puppies. The symptoms include tremor, vomiting, high body temperature, and weakness. Eating chocolate with macadamia nuts will have more dangers to your puppy, even leading to death.

6. Grapes and Raisins

Fruits which are healthy for people can be bad foods for puppies. For example, grapes. Grapes and raisins may not be harmful for some puppies, but they can cause kidney failures in other puppy. Your puppy could vomit, get lethargy and diarrhea after 12 hours consuming grapes or raisins. If it is not treated, it can lead to dehydration, decreased appetite, increased urination followed with decrease urination. If your puppy has these symptoms after eating grapes or raisins, take it to vet to be treated immediately or else it can develop kidney problems or even die from kidney failure within three or four days.

7. Bread 

Many foods and drinks contain alcohol, even in the small amounts. This small amount of alcohol won’t be harmful for you but it is enough to harm your puppy. Raw bread dough contains small amount of alcohol that can lead to alcohol intoxication in puppies. The symptoms include vomiting, disorientation, restlessness, panting, muscle tremors, seizures, and high body temperature. The alcohol intoxication can lead to organ system’s failure even death. The yeast in bread dough can also cause stomach expansion in puppy, which resulted in tissue damage and difficulty breathing. The yeast can cause gas to accumulate in puppy’s digestive system and the bloating can be painful and become life threatening.

8. Avocado

Even though avocado is good for your health, it is dangerous if eaten by puppy. Avocados contain persin, which can cause mild stomach upset in puppies. The symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. Persin can be found in large amounts all of the avocado’s plant parts, in avocado’s leaves, bark, and seeds. Make sure to keep your puppy away if you have avocado plant in your backyard.

9. Sugary Foods

Foods that contains high amount of sugar is dangerous for your puppy. Even the small amount of sugar can cause high damage to puppy’s health. It can higher blood’s sugar levels, makes the puppy becomes hyperactive and unfocused. After the impact of sugar is over, the puppy will experience sugar slump when it gets sleepy, moody, and irritable. In serious case, it can harm puppy’s liver and cause diabetes.

10. Salty Foods

The last 10 dangerous foods to avoid feeding your puppy is foods that contains high amount of salt. There are many people saying that popcorn and pretzels can cause stomach problem for your puppy, but the real culprit actually is the salt in them. When puppy consume salt, it causes sodium ion poisoning. The puppy will urinate more and feel thirstier. The symptoms may be varied from diarrhea, seizure, high body temperature, to bloating. That’s why you should not give your puppy your salt-heavy snacks such as potato chips, pretzels, and salted popcorn.

There are many other foods that can be harmful for your puppy. If you’re unsure about what you can feed your puppy, always consult to your veterinarian first. It is the best to avoid giving human foods for puppies. Make sure to always keep an eye of your food, not to let your puppy to taste it.