Rabbits are famous pet animal following the others popular pet animals such dogs and cats – but they have this advantage that the two of the others fellow pet animals didn’t have – which is this animal could become farm animal. It’s obvious, you can’t farm the cats or dogs (you can use the dogs for security purpose though) because these two animals didn’t have “the additional point” like rabbits.
There are some differences between pet and farm animals that you should know – and some people – rather than raised a rabbit as pet prefer to raised him for business. Rabbit’s farming turn into new phenomenon on business circles. Many people try their luck to start farming business rabbit on purpose to raised them for meat and also fur – something you could never do to dog and cat. Why?
Maybe you could say that this is pathetic reason and seem unfair for the rabbit, but in certain countries – what’s been called with pet animals mostly just included dog and cat. So, all the law and term about the animal right and protection did not cover the rabbit – make it legal for some people that decided raised rabbit for meat and business purpose only.
But, if you one of people that strongly against this act (slaughter the rabbits), then you can try to breeding the rabbits for pet sale only. You don’t have to do all the vicious job to the rabbit, but still – you get income from it. Is it hard to breeding rabbit? Here are 4 basic guides for you – especially if you are a beginner and please, make sure you note every step to guide you on how to breed him properly.
1. First Preparation
Caution: breed rabbits at home takes a lot of work hard and patience – ask yourself first before you jump to this field, do you really can do it? If you already struggle on take care of one rabbit, then perhaps it’s not a good idea for you to do it. You need mature calculation budget for all those rabbits necessities included foods (every healthy grasses and others additional supplements), the proper cages, and health care treatment.
Plus, one thing you should remember – you have to prepare yourself of the failure. Just like another business, there’s always up and down period you will experience.
Pick Rabbit Breeds
There are many of breeds available for you out there. You could pick the breeds which is fit to your business and your necessary – don’t pick it only because of their appearance (but yes, it is important too). In this article is it hard to begin breeding rabbit? Here are 4 basic guides for you – we’ll share for you some popular breeds might interest you:
This breed has alluring appearance – with dense soft wool covered all of their body with a light-weight body. In this case, you should prepare yourself to put extra money for their grooming which is usually twice a week. There are some types of Angora you could find: Satin, French, English, and Giant Angora.
This breed known with their big sized bodies which is about 9-12 pounds. American was the most common breed for their meat and fur.
- Flemish Giant
Flemish was the biggest breed of rabbits and could reach until 22 pounds per-rabbit. Flemish is a common breed for meat and fur – but also, the favorite breed for pet now days and show animals. But you have to note – the cost of their treatment is quite expwnsive. Prepare yourself, folks!
The Right Age for Breed
You have to remember, you only could breed those rabbits only when they ready or simply reaching the maturity age. All rabbits have different maturity ages, such: for large breed generally will reach the maturity around 8-9 months, and for small-medium sized it’s around 6-7 months.
Plus, for the males rabbit, they need to reach certain ages to be ready for breed: for large breeds, males need to reach about 9 months, for medium about 7 months, for the small breed need 6 months.
Save The Rooms For Kits (Babies)
Do not forget to save some rooms for the babies on cages. You can’t just mix the adults rabbits with the babies (except the mothers) – they need private space. And note this: male and female babies must be separated when they reach 8 weeks, if not – they could overcrowd and harm each other that lead to unnecessary death. Also, place all of the cages and hutches in safety place in your house.
2. The Mating
This is the main stage of breeding rabbits – to make sure you do the right mating of the male and female. The good mating will produce a high quality rabbit for sale.
Healthy and Happy
The rabbit mental and physic conditions during mating is the most important component to make the mating less stressful. We’re suggest you to go the veterinarian to check your rabbits before the mating process – also here’s others things to be your attention:
- The both rabbits – female and male – should not underweight or overweight.
- Make sure that both of rabbits – female and male – not contain and carry any disease or illness.
- Don’t breed when you find any strange habit such aggressive and depress.
- Always take the female to male’s cage, this is to prevent some fight between both, caused by unfamiliar smell on female’s cage.
Leave The Breed Pair
Generally we will give the pair time to mate about 2-3 times – let them mate several times will increase the possibility of success breeding. But there are some people prefer mate them in separate hours in a day then let them mate 3 times in one session. If you find that the back or tail of doe wet, that’s mean the mating not success – so, you could let them to mate again.
3. Nurse The Pregnant Doe
- Provide the pregnant doe with a lot of healthy grasses and hays, make sure to make a nesting box in doe’s cage. Give the doe extra material to build their own nest.
- You need to give the mothers some quiet and peaceful place and less stressful place that could affect the pregnancy. Don’t lift them to much, because you could accidentally could damage the babies.
- The nesting will last for 25-27 days, and in 32-33 days, she will give birth – you could let her take care of it. Usually babies will be born before dawn. You should check the kits after the birth and immediately remove the dead kits
- Or you just simply could leave the pregnant does to veterinary during the pregnancy and let the veterinarian take care the rest.
4. Take Care The Doe and Babies
- Feed the does more after the birth because the kits will drain her up.
- You could give the does some stroke to calm them and make bonding with them. Also, it’s very useful to let them exercise for a bit to remove some stress. Make sure you’re not getting too close to the nest, some people said that the does will abandon their kits if you touch them.
- Make sure you check the nest temperature regularly. The best temperature for the nest is around 100 degrees – don’t let the temperature drop or the kits will freeze.
- You should check the kits often to make sure that they eat normally and prevent them to wandered out from the nest.
- Don’t forget to clean the cages and box to prevent some the urine and feces not overrun – and also keep the cages and box clean and hygienic.
- You could remove the doe from kits at 7 weeks, and start to give the kits their own foods. When they reach 8 weeks, you could place the kits in their own cages. The first week might be the stressful period for the mother and kits – you could give them support with adding some probiotics to their water to maintain their health.